Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 2021 12:22:38 +0100
From:      Gerrit Kuehn <gerrit.kuehn@aei.mpg.de>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   config file installation/removal

Hello,

I have a question concerning the handling of config files by pkg. Is
the following the intended behaviour?

---
root@crest:~ # pkg delete rsync
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Deinstallation has been requested for the following 1 packages (of 0
packages in the universe):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
	rsync: 3.2.3

Number of packages to be removed: 1

Proceed with deinstalling packages? [y/N]: y
[1/1] Deinstalling rsync-3.2.3...
[1/1] Deleting files for rsync-3.2.3: 100%
You may need to manually remove /usr/local/etc/rsync/rsyncd.conf if it
is no longer needed.
---

Note that there is no rsyncd.conf file to remove at this point, but
never mind. So let's re-install rsync:

---
root@crest:~ # pkg install rsync
[...]
Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
[1/1] Fetching rsync-3.2.3.txz: 100%  355 KiB 363.1kB/s    00:01
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
[1/1] Installing rsync-3.2.3...
[1/1] Extracting rsync-3.2.3: 100%
root@crest:~ # ll /usr/local/etc/rsync/
total 4
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  772 Feb  4 11:31 rsyncd.conf.sample
---

So my basic issue is that apparently any config files (rsync is just
serving as an example here) don't get removed, even if they are
identical to their .sample files, and (worse!) no default configs get
installed anymore, I get just the .sample files. Is this intended? I'm
pretty sure this used to be different in the past. It is also described
differently in the handbook:
https://docs.freebsd.org/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/plist-keywords.html#plist-keywords-sample

---
Then, on installation, if the actual file is not found, copy the sample
file to the actual file. And finally, on deinstallation, remove the
actual file if it has not been modified.
---

This is what I expected and was used to until recently. However, I see
the behaviour described in the rsync example above instead on several
systems now after (binary) updating to 12.2 (but it may have crept in
earlier). Any thoughts/ideas?

cu
  Gerrit