Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 19:32:01 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Paul Halliday <dp@penix.org>
Cc:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPS time.

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 10:44:55AM -0600, Paul Halliday wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Mike Silbersack wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> >
> > > Your NTP servers are better.
> > >
> > > I tested a III Plus, and without a 1 PPS source (which that model
> > > doesn't provide) it's accurate to about 100ms, give or take.  Since
> > > real NTP servers are < 1ms, they really aren't that good.  It's
> > > not that the time isn't accurate, it's that they were not designed
> > > to communicate with that accuracy to an external device.
> >
> > OTOH, 100ms is pretty close; I doubt many people need time better than
> > that.  The one big advantage I can see with using a GPS receiver vs NTP
> > servers is security & reliability; I've always worried that my clock
> > might start to drift to a misconfigured NTP server.  Taken to a paranoid
> > level, you could worry that someone was faking NTP replies to throw your
> > clocks off. :)
>
> 	This is the answer I was kinda hoping for. I think that accuracy
> to ~100ms from a known source is a little more comforting than <1ms from a
> server that I have no control over. I am not maintaining a space program,
> just a dozen machines in my room that really serve no other purpose than
> personal entertainment.

Yes, but that is why one shouldn't rely on *a* server.  When using NTP
it is a good idea to get the time from several NTP servers.
The chance that all of them are misconfigured at the same time is
fairly small.

OTOH, taking the time from a local GPS receiver doesn't sound like a
bad idea either if one doesn't need extremely good timekeeping.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson