Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 19:48:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mpg123 buffer error

I don't think I've ever seen this question come up before.  For quite some
time now, I've avoided using the -b (or --buffer) switch with mpg123, as it
always bombs out, with the error messages seen depending on whether it's
being run as root or user (output slightly snipped):

conrads@cx2037703-a:/mm/mp3/New$ mpg123 -v --aggressive -b 8192 "Heart -
Dog & Butterfly - 05 - Dog & Butterfly.mp3"

Playing MPEG stream from Heart - Dog & Butterfly - 05 - Dog & Butterfly.mp3
Junk at the beginning 49443303
MPEG 1.0, Layer: III, Freq: 44100, mode: Joint-Stereo, modext: 2, BPF : 418
Channels: 2, copyright: No, original: No, CRC: No, emphasis: 0.
Bitrate: 128 Kbits/s, Extension value: 0
No supported rate found!
conrads@cx2037703-a:/mm/mp3/New$ Yuck! Error in buffer handling...:
Permission denied

root@cx2037703-a:/mm/mp3/New$ mpg123 -v --aggressive -b 8192 "Heart - Dog &

Playing MPEG stream from Heart - Dog & Butterfly - 05 - Dog & Butterfly.mp3
Junk at the beginning 49443303
MPEG 1.0, Layer: III, Freq: 44100, mode: Joint-Stereo, modext: 2, BPF : 418
Channels: 2, copyright: No, original: No, CRC: No, emphasis: 0.
Bitrate: 128 Kbits/s, Extension value: 0
No supported rate found!
Yuck! Error in buffer handling...: Undefined error: 0

Frankly, I am baffled.  In the past I *have* used the buffering switch with
no problems.

Just to get one possibility on the table: could this be merely from
something as trivial as using greater than -O optimization (-O2, to be
precise) when making world, kernel, or mpg123?  I'm also running on an
Athlon box, and compiled mpg123 with 3dNow! enabled.

Oh, and no, it's not just a bad MP3.  :-)  This happens with any file I try
to play.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>

"There's nothing in the middle of the road but a yellow stripe and dead
armadillos."
                -- Jim Hightower, Texas Agricultural Commissioner