Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 2002 10:40:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/39316: gnome2-2.0_2 port install is unclean

The following reply was made to PR ports/39316; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 19:36:26 +0200 (CEST)

 On 5 Jul 2002, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

 >Sorry to hear this, but I think the problem might be specific to you.  I
 >have GNOME 2 working just fine on my -stable machine.  On top of the
 >known problems from gnome.org, we seem to have an issue where nautilus
 >will lock up when trying to thumbnail certain image files.  I'm still
 >investigating this.

 Yes, that was one of the things which I ran into just after starting
 gnome.  Others were crashes with font selection dialogs, and the sawfish
 configurator, a totally broken gdm (well, I only tried once, I'd preferred
 xdm with a manual gnome-session invocation anyways) and frequent short
 freezes of the desktop when nautilus was doing DNS lookups or ftp logins
 (this might not actually be a bug as such but more of a misdesign
 annoyance, that the filemanager also controls other parts of the UI.)

 >I haven't seen an arg list too long error yet when building gnome2, and
 >I just did it from scratch again yesterday.  I have not done it through
 >portinstall, however.  I always do:
 >
 ># cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome2
 ># make clean
 ># make install clean

 Since that failed for me before the last try (before the final gnome 2.0
 update, it just did nothing) I had used portinstall instead, which
 at least compiled the stuff.

 --mkb