Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 2002 10:25:17 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Mark Sergeant <msergeant@looksmart.net>
Cc:        Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MWave modem on Vaio R505EC?

> From: Mark Sergeant <msergeant@looksmart.net>
> Date: 05 Aug 2002 11:26:43 +1000
>
> Just out of interest I tried this on my toshiba portege 4000 and get the
> same error, one day when I get around to rebooting I might have a
> fiddle.

Mark,

This is amazing! To my knowledge the IBM mWave was only used on
several IBM ThinkPads built in the late 90s. Now I get reports that it
is used on some Sony and Toshiba models. I'll admit that I'm dubious.

How did you confirm that the DSP is an mWave? Have you booted Windows
and confirmed what the hardware manager thinks it is? Is it possible
that it's an Agre (Lucent) AC97? That modem is not the same as the LT
modem supported by the ltmdm port, but it is also not an mWave.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)