Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:21:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Todd Backman <todd@flyingcroc.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   syslogd poll state

Greetings.

Application:

I am running a central syslog repository that logs +250 freebsd
servers. The syslog server is running 4.0-STABLE on good hardware (PII
400, 256mb ram, Cheetah HD, adaptec 2940, Intel NIC).

Issue:

Syslog seems to die (enter poll state) at undetermined times. At first I
thought it was newsyslog related but I turned off newsyslog in cron and
the problem continues. Hupping syslogd has no effect and I must kill it
and restart to clear the poll state. I have searched the archives (pain in
the neck without having the ability to search by date :^P ) and have not
seen similar instances that have been answered.

Question:

Could some entry from one of my remote machines be killing syslogd?
(I have looked at the entries in /var/log/messages that correspond to the
times that cron dies/stops logging and nothing is out of the ordinary)
There are no other cronjobs that correspond to the times that syslog
stops...

I would like to find out if anyone else has had this type of difficulty
before I rebuild the system/replace files/at script to grep for the poll
states, kill and restart syslogd...

Thanks in advance.

- Todd