Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:04:27 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: <trademark> tag in the docs

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 05:52:28PM +0200, Rasmus Kaj wrote:

>  MO> In the Programmers Tools tutorial there are several uses of the
>  MO> <trademark> tag but it appears not to work:
>
>  MO> 	    <trademark>MS-DOS</trademark>
>
>  MO> appears in the doc as:
>
>  MO> 	   MS-DOS&trade
>
> I'm assuming here that you're talking about generating HTML. Correct
> me if I'm wrong.

You are correct.

> That should work, if there is a non-character after. To make it work
> either way, a ';' should be appended.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a "non-character", but if you
mean white space then that is what was there:

            <filename>.cc</filename>, rather than the
            <trademark>MS-DOS</trademark> style
            <filename>.cpp</filename> (which was already used for

> In /usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl/modular/html/dbhtml.dsl, it says:
> (("trademark")(make entity-ref name: "trade"))
> ... which sounds to me as if it should do a real entity reference,
> i.e. append a semicolon ...

I did try replacing the tag with ``&trade;'' but it gave the same
result.

> If the problem is that &trade; don't give the wanted symbol in some
> browsers, try &#153; instead.

Hmm, but is that valid (style-wise, for FreeBSD docs)?

>  MO> [ ... ]
>
>  MO> Also, shouldn't we really acknowledge trademarks, either by using the
>  MO> "(TM)" symbol with each instance [ ... ]
>
> This would be what happens now, right?

It was only in the Programming Guide; I couldn't find the trademark
tag used anywhere else although trademarked words are used.

Anyway, I changed (and committed) the Programmers Guide by removing
the tag so, although I believe we should use it, it now looks correct
in the HTML (Netscape) and is consistent with the rest of the docs.

> --
> Rasmus Kaj -------------------- rasmus@kaj.se - http://Raditex.se/~kaj/
>  \             Time is an illusion; lunchtime--doubly so. -Ford Prefect

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie