Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 11:42:24 +0200
From:      "Thomas E. Zander" <riggs@hadiko.de>
To:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/38649: mplayer-gtk-0.90.0.4 port won't play DVDs..

Hi,

On Wed, 29. May 2002, at  0:41 -0400, Andy Sparrow wrote
according to [Re: ports/38649: mplayer-gtk-0.90.0.4 port won't play DVDs..]:

> When the preview is done, it playing the main program, but complains that it's
> an encryped VOB and I didn't compile with CSS support (?), and then plays the
> video (ironically, at what appears to be a good speed), but it's scrambled...
>

> Weird. 0.60 Just Works for me (as did every previous version of mplayer).

I can take another guess.
I have hat some odd problems using libdvdread for playing some
"critical" dvds like "Matrix", it seems that support for libdvdread has
become worse since 0.60, I have had serious framedroppings and audio
skipping, but on other systems those problems weren't existent.
You could try to compile mplayer without support for libdvdread. It can
use its own libmpdvdkit which is stable for my "critical" dvds.
And, please compile without cpudetection on-the-fly.

To do this, you have to comment out/delete the lines 197-199 from
the port Makefile, this enables libmpdvdkit, and put in your make line
-DWITHOUT_RUNTIME_CPUDETECTION

Riggs

P.S. I hope this dvd access problem will be fixed until 0.9-final.
Don't forget that it is a "pre" version!

--
- "[...] I talked to the computer at great length and
-- explained my view of the Universe to it" said Marvin.