Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 09:38:53 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru
Subject:   Re: IWill and sio, again and again

> >> Actually tests 5 and 8.

> >> IForget.  The probe can't possibly not work if you ignore the failures
> >> in it.
> >
> >The probe works, but the port doesn't, due to the attach making
> >assumptions about the results of the probe.  This is a basic failure in
> >implementation of many probe/attach pairs, which will be exacerbated if/
> >when the probes are obsoleted by PnP detection.
>
> The port worked fine on the system I debugged it on.

Do you mean to say that you've assessed the problem with the ACER UART
(or the PIC arrangement used with it)?  What is your prognosis?

> The attach makes
> no assumptions about the results of the probe, but it assumes that a
> successful probe leaves a couple of registers in a certain state.
> Butchery of the probe to do more than ignore the failures could easily
> break this.

Butchery of the probe to merely ignore the failures results in a
nonworking port.

Butchery of the probe to include the bogus-but-functional probe code on
Greg's page results in a working port.

The inference here is that the attach assumes some port state that is
not achieved by the normal probe.  If we were to use the PnP BIOS data
to determine the port's configuration and ignored the probe, it would
be interesting to know if the attach would result in a working port.