Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 12:24:18 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Cc:        Greg Work <Greg@fatcanary.com.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD K6-2 / 550

On Saturday,  1 July 2000 at 21:37:33 -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>> On Saturday,  1 July 2000 at 21:21:56 -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>>> (mutilated description of hardware-related problems with AMD K6-2 deleted)
>>> hmm....
>>> I can't (the AMD K6-2 is back at the computer store), as
>>> I said, that computer now has an Intel P-III 600E in it :-).
>>>
>>> The tech's at IMS did say that AMD did admit to "some problem" with
>>> the K6-2's, so I'm not sure that an earlier FreeBSD will help...
>>
>> There have been "some problems" with all processors.  Without any
>> more accurate description, this statement doesn't help.
>
> Let's put it this way, I've posted a NUMBER of items to the -stable
> list over the last 2-4 weeks as I've fought this one.  I can't get a
> CPU/BIOS/MB with a K6-2/550 on it to SUCCESSFULLY/RELIABLY make
> world.
>
> I'm tired of fighting it.
>
> The *SAME MEMORY STICK* runs just fine on this Shuttle AV61
> motherboard with Intel P-III 600E CPU.

This suggests that the problem was either the motherboard, the
processor or the BIOS settings.

> I can't get a more accurate description from the techs.
>
> if you want to trouble shoot it, be my guest, but I can't give any more
> time to it.

Nor I.  But that doesn't make your assessment correct.

> I've played with ALL the BIOS settings on both a HOT-591/P and a
> HOT-597 Shuttle board with the K6-2/550, and also TONS of Kernel
> settings, nothing gets a successful repeatable MAKE WORLD.

It could still be the motherboard, or the specific processor.

> Therefore I went, reluctantly, and at a $200 cost, back to Intel.
>
> I resent your comment that it's memory or processor (read the
> threads I've posted recently).

Your prerogative.  I'm not trying to make black white or any such
thing, but it seems that you haven't been very thorough in your
analysis.  That in itself isn't an issue, but under the circumstances
I can't see why you blame one component over another.  Lots of people
are running all kinds of AMD processors, the same speed, slower and
faster, and most of them work fine.

Greg