Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:47:36 +0000
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gname

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:49:37 -0500
"Grant Peel" <gpeel@thenetnow.com> wrote:

> Wow,
>
> After a fresh install of FreeBSD 6.4, (with Xorg) I tried installing
> Gnome, and I get a "stop" during build, Filesystem Full!
>
> Is Gname really that big? or did I miss doing something?
>
>  Doing a du -h -d1 on /usr shows"

> 7.0G ports.
> 1.8G local

The problem is that when you install something for the first time you
end up with a lot of cruft in the ports tree because all the work
directories for the dependencies get left-behind.  When you later
update Gnome with portupgrade (or whatever) the tool cleans as it
goes.  If you have portupgrade installed I would run portsclean -CD,
and start again.

If /usr is on a separate partition, and you have a lot of space
elsewhere then I would suggest you either symlink /usr/ports there or
set WRKDIRPREFIX. Some desktop ports need huge amounts of temporary
space to build - it doesn't make much sense to allocate it  under /usr.