Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 16:00:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        toor@dyson.iquest.net (John S. Dyson)
Cc:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

John S. Dyson wrote:

> poor people who are "middle class" but unfortunate.  There is a prevailing liberal
> attitude that poor people don't/can't care about themselves, and I have found that
> the opposite is true.  Sure, there are alot of people who don't care about themselves,
> or their families, and it is doubly bad when they are poor also.  (I would not
> know how to live, making $15K-$25K/year with a kid or two, but those working poor do
> get by.)  They cannot be dumb...

	liberals do not believe that poor people cant/dont/wont.
	i dont buy that.  i also dont understand how people can get
	by making $15K-$25K/year with a kid or two...that must be
	very tough.....hmm....in '87 i was making about 28 with two
	kids, maybe i do understand.  it was not pleasent(sp).
	thank god those days are behind me (for) now.

> Actually, the biggest thing that the vouchers will do is to shake-up the school
> admins, and that is good.  Why do you think that so many resist the school voucher

	perhaps they fear being the "schools of last resort"
	while facing reduced funding.  after a few years, arguments
	in the legislature that they are wasteful and incompetent
	compared to schools that can oust problem students.  possible
	further cuts in spending on public schools.

> idea?  Imagine a sloppy school that is at risk of closing, and the principal is
> "at risk."  Risk is an amazing motivator (sp?).  I don't think that a career
> of an administrator is nearly as important as the quality of care and education
> that children get.  These school admins make a reasonable amount of money compared
> to their teacher peers, and with that additional income, comes responsibility.
>
> We get paid for responsibility and innovation, and I think that a manager of a
> school should have appropriate feedback mechanisms also.  Along with the feedback
> mechanisms, the management of a school needs to be "enabled" and "empowered" (in
> the truest sense of the words.)

	touch to see that part happening...easier to give away vouchers
	and run...look at the budget agreement and them look at the out
	years...easier to cut and run.
jmb