Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:16:09 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "bill" <bill@techservsys.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help a poor refuge from SCO UNIX (SysV)

On Tuesday 20 August 2002 07:27 am, bill wrote:
| I think it would be easier to learn freeBSD from scratch rather than fall
| into all the holes where the same command does slightly different things on
| SCO and freeBSD.  Help !
|
| 1) I want to see all processes to be able to grep the pid of the one I
| want.  ps -a doesn't show process detached from ttys apparently.  ps -ef
| doesn't do it either.  what is the correct arg for ps ?

ps -ax

(a = all users; x = without ttys).

| 2) how do I ask the system to start ftpd upon startup.  I read /etc/rc and
| rc.conf and didn't see a place.  (I love rc.conf - it, like most of the
| files are beautifully commented as are the man pages) .

/etc/rc.local is the conventional "old" place for local startup; the "new"
place is to put it in the /usr/local/src/rc.d directory with the name *.sh.

In the case of starting something that's in the base system rather than ports,
I suppose that /etc/rc.local would be the conventional choice, though either
one works.  But in the case of ftpd, you would usually want, instead, to use
. . .

|    or, perhaps, to start it on demand, what is the ineted file ?  In sco it
| is inittab, but freeBSD apparently uses something else.

/etc/inetd.conf

| in a related question, does freeBSD use TCP_WRAPPERS or something
| else.
|
| 3) is there a link to a tutorial or listing of differences between SysV and
| freeBSD ?

I don't know about these two.  I'm not sure what TCP_WRAPPERS are, and I know
of nothing specific but I'd be surprised if some create google or Altavista
searches didn't turn up some info on the latter.