Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:27:43 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposed minimum change to rc.conf

Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> One way (perhaps not the only one) to tell a diskless machine is
> that hostname is set by the BOOTP stuff before /etc/rc starts.  As
> it is now, I can put most machine-dependent stuff in /etc/rc.local,
> but /etc/rc.conf now overrides the hostname and makes it harder to
> preserve the identity of the system.

	If I'm following you correctly I think that you misunderstand how the
boot process works. Nothing in rc.conf makes something happen, it's just
a home for the various values that are used by the other scripts. After
mounting disks and such, /etc/rc source's rc.conf, then begins calling
the various other rc.* scripts, calling the network setup in rc.network,
etc.

	If all you want to do is avoid having rc.network set a hostname, just
comment out that line in rc.conf. Or, you could comment out the whole
hostname section in rc.network, it's the very first bit. Also, I found a
non-obvious thing in rc.network that allows you to specify a startup
file for a given interface. I use this to start up dhcp and let it
configure my nic before the rest of rc.network is called. I proposed
some toggles in rc.conf/rc.network a while back to make life easier for
dhcp users but it was shot down.

	If I'm unclear on what you actually want to do, please feel free to
correct me. I'm working on a tutorial for dhcp so your actual needs will
be good input. :)

Hope this helps,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest