Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:37:53 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Adam David <adam@veda.is>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make -k oddities

In message <199702260432.EAA07601@veda.is> Adam David writes:
: >When I do a make -k for a port that I don't have (and can't get) the
: >dist file for, then it will try to fetch and fail.  Once it fails it
: >will then try to patch, which it shouldn't do.
:
: make -k means "ignore error return from command" but bsd.port.mk uses the
: error return to bail out at that point.

Not quiet.  make -i means "ignore error return from command" but -k
means this with the restriction that nothing that depends on those
things returning an error should be built.  No fetch should imply no
build, but doesn't.

: >I've also seen weird things where sometimes it would fetch things
: >twice, mysteriously hang when failing back to ftp.freebsd.org (but
: >only sometimes, and sometimes after < 64k was trasnferred) and a few
: >other sh related oddities.
:
: If the network connection breaks during fetch, the next site on the list is
: tried. I have sometimes seen fetch fail on the last byte of the file.

This is more of a hang with OpenBSD's ftp.  For some reason, it hangs
after about 64k when talking to freefall for reasons unknown.

Warner