Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 2004 06:45:54 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Rob <nospam@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5-Current on Pentium-I with old hardware: still risky?

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 10:12:27PM +0900, Rob wrote:
>=20
> Hi
>=20
> I have an old Pentium-1, which I like to configure as a router
> for a home network, with a minimal amount of user applications
> for system maintenance only.
>=20
> All my other production machines at work and home have much newer
> hardware, so I don't take risks and run 4-stable.
>=20
> When I read about problems with early adoption of 5.X, I mainly
> encounter risks related to extremely large RAM, multi processors,
> or very new hardware.
>=20
> My simple and old Pentium-1 PC may therefore a very low risk system for
> installing 5-Current. Is that right? Or am making a big mistake here?

The risk in tracking -CURRENT is not only for new features, but
everyday stability.  From time to time, if you track -CURRENT you
_will_ encounter panics, and occasionally data corruption and worse,
so you need to be willing and able to deal with that when it happens.

Kris

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o--