Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:53:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      borg <bsd_mailing@yahoo.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions." <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Joshua Lewis <jmlewis@dslextreme.com>
Subject:   Re: BIND9 REPLACE BASE BIND8

--- Joshua Lewis <jmlewis@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> I have been having been having some issues with BIND
> that have been
> driving me up the wall. I believe I may have located
> the problem. I
> believe I had both BIND8 and BIND9 installed on the
> same system. So I am
> reinstalling from the ports collection and
> overwriting BIND8 completely.
> I wish to avoid this issue in the future. I found
> this in a how to
> online and was wondering if it is accurate.
That's a very common confusion. Usually after
installing Bind9 from the ports "named -v" gives you
the 8.x version. A fast and dirty method to override
the old Bind8 with Bind9 tools and file:

cd /usr/ports/net/bind9
make install clean
ln -fs /usr/local/bin/dig /usr/bin/dig
ln -fs /usr/local/bin/host /usr/bin/host
ln -fs /usr/local/bin/nslookup /usr/sbin/nslookup
ln -fs /usr/local/bin/nsupdate /usr/sbin/nsupdate
ln -fs /usr/local/sbin/named /usr/sbin/named
ln -fs /etc/namedb/named.conf
/usr/local/etc/named.conf

> if you plan on upgrading your base system, add
> "NO_BIND= true" to /
> etc/make.conf to keep 'buildworld' from blowing away
> your current BIND
> install.
>
> For one thing there was no make.conf in /etc. Then
> the other thing is
> the syntax looks odd to me. I would have thought it
> would be
> NO_BIND="TRUE" as this is the syntax I have seen in
> rc.conf. Could
> someone set me strait?

If you are using FreeBSD 5.x I believe you should have
that pre-created in /etc. The difference that I
noticed is that 4.x contains /etc/default/make.conf
while 5.x doesn't have. But if it's not there you can
create the file anyway.
# touch /etc/make.conf
You can force it to not mess up your bind config on
"buildworld". Add this:
NO_BIND= true

If you are planning on controlling bind through rndc
don't forget to run: "rndc-confgen -a" after you
install bind9.

to make bind9 load on boot add to /etc/rc.conf
named_enable="YES"
named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
named_flags="depends on your environment check -u -t
-c options in named(8)."

regards,

"UNIX, it's a way of life."