Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:31:13 -0500
From:      Jud <jud@operamail.com>
To:        Nathan Mace <mace_nathan@uchaswv.edu>
Cc:        fred1@inebraska.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GRUB: can't find kernel

2/25/2002 10:20:14 AM, Nathan Mace <mace_nathan@uchaswv.edu>
wrote:

[snip]
>now my linux grub boots all 3 OS's.  one last question.  i have grub
>installed from the ports tree, but there is no /boot/grub directory. so
there
>is also no menu.lst how do i get the needed files and stuff in there?
from
>what i've read it should be there, but it's not
>
>thanks for all the help
>
>natan

Simple version: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Slightly more detailed version: If you went ahead and did what you're
asking about, I think what you might get is a second GRUB boot menu
when you booted up FreeBSD, and of course you don't want to have to
boot twice, do you?

The /boot/grub directory is actually something you create yourself -
installing the port does *not* do this for you.  However, as I said, you
don't need and don't want to do this on FreeBSD, since GRUB on Linux
is working perfectly well as your boot manager.

GRUB is actually not very difficult.  From your description re "tearing
your hair out" and your questions, I'd suggest that typing "info grub" (no
quotes) and (re)reading the docs will repay you many times over.

Jud