Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 18:34:27 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, dave@jetcafe.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 12:43:51 -0700 (PDT)
"Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com> wrote:

> You are really naive.  *Every* worldview has religious connotations.
> The theory of evolution represents one such worldview.  Why do you
> think people cling to it so tenaciously, even though it has been, as
> you yourself say, by Behe and others, "blown out of the water"?  What
> was the predominant theory before evolution?  I'll give you a hint, it
> too had very significant religious connotations.

Lamarkianism, which is really not all that different than evolution
other than it's mechanism not being the same. One would have to go back
to before the Rennaisance, during periods where practically no
scientific activity was being pursued in Northern Europe, to get to the
point where you want to take science. Let science progress according to
it's own process, a process that Behe respects, rather than trying to
hurry it along with doctrines that cannot be used scientifically.

Biology is a young science. Often when I read Maimonidies and how he
reacted to the Aristotelian physics of his day (an intellegent
comprimise rather than disagreeing with it's premises altogeather) I am
astounded by how odd scientists of that early period in physics's
history seemed in their theories. Physics eventually straightened itself
out. (The eternity of matter, the last piece of Aristotle to be
rejected, was an accepted theory a couple of decades into the 20th
century!) Let biology straighten itself out too - using the scientific
method. Second-guessing the scientific method is a recipie for
scientific disaster, even in the hands of the best theologians. (If you
really have objections to how it's being teached in public schools send
your children to private ones - that's what we do, we don't expect
Judaism to be taught in public schools - stop insisting your religious
minority, and it is a minority, be given a place of privledge in the
marketplace of ideas; against the constitution that made your brand of
protestantism possible.)