Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 22:08:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bob K <melange@yip.org>
To:        Scott Taggart <scott_t@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ICQ with NAT problems

Assuming the information at
http://www.icq.com/icqtour/firewall/netadmin.html and
http://www.icq.com/icqtour/firewall/#configure is accurate, you need to do
the following:

- On the box running NAT, you need to start natd with the following flag:

where <icqhost> is the machine running icq and <someport> is some port
between 1024 and 65535.  I'd suggest -not- using 1080, 31337, 27374, or
12345 for these, unless you want to show up in script kiddie scans.

- On the box running icq, there should be some sort of firewall setup
screen.  Choose the option, "I have no Socks.x Proxy server but I have a
range of listening ports I can use." and insert the value of <someport>
there.

Do note that this will mean that someone attempting to connect to TCP
<someport> on the firewall will be forwarded to the machine whether it's
an ICQ connection or not, and also that this is completely off-topic for
-stable - I'm sure Mirabilis has help forums for exactly this sort of
question.

Bob <melange@yip.org> | We're all wrong.