Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 95 10:15:50 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su (Serge A. Babkin)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks [RAID]

> > But, again, the risk is increased by the spanning, which was the point
> > of the post... that spanning is nearly useless without additional
> > support changes to increase reliability.
>
> How about disk mirroring ? If you have a _mirrored_ database on two 2G
> disks and then add 2x2G (or may be 1x4G) and get spanned mirrored database.
> You get reliability due to mirroring and easy expansion due to spanning.

That works... but then again, it's an additional support change to
increase reliability.

The minimum number of changes for spanning is two: the first to get
spanning, the second to increase reliability so you can actually use
the spanning safely.

Note that a procedural change could suffice... like adding regular
backups when there were none before.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---