Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:27:25 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com (George Hartzell)
Cc:        Andrew Boothman <A.J.Boothman@sms.ed.ac.uk>, Matt Smith <matt@forsetti.com>, Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "NTLDR missing" after 5-RELEASE install

hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com (George Hartzell) wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that it's not operator error on my part, since it
> happened several times.  I suspect that there aren't that many people
> playing with 5.0 that don't install the standard boot stuff, and so
> that path isn't exercised too much.

     I installed 5.0 with the booteasy MBR on my IBM laptop, and it
worked fine.  The problem I had was that *ANY* MBR-based boot program
interfered with IBM's special "product recovery" software, and so I
instead decided to just use Win2K/XP's boot mechanism to boot FreeBSD
(as I explained in my previous message).

[ Yes, FreeBSD and XP (in my case) would still have worked if I kept
  booteasy, but I really wanted to keep IBM's product recovery software,
  and so I switched to using 2K/XP's method.  In hindsight, that's
  probably the best approach, as it doesn't require any MBR changes or
  boot floppies/CDs.  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com