Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 19:54:51 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR or Adaptec?

Rodney W. Grimes stands accused of saying:

> > I'm in the process of speccing up my new PCI wonderbox, and I'm
> > looking for commentary on the relative merits of NCR 53C810 vs. Adaptec
> > 2940 when it comes to PCI SCSI controllers.
>
> My benchmarks on running ``make world'' on the exact same system, only
> chang being swapping an ASUS SC-200 for an adaptec 2940 showed a 10 minute
> delta in favor of the adaptec on a 3 hour 27 minute run time.

Thanks Rod, I've spent the change I've saved here on a CDU76S; I wanted
a CDROM but couldn't keep it under $7500 8)

> > The particular NCR card I'm being quoted on is the ASUS PCI SC200.
>
> Hope your not paying too much down in .au land for this stuff!

Likewise : I don't think so - the 2940 is about $350 and the ASUS is ~$280
less.

> Given you are talking to a single disk drive, I doubt that the
> AHA2940 is worth the $300.00.  The place this controller starts to
> pull away seriously from the NCR card is in either 3 or more disks
> on 1 controller, or 3 or more controllers on the PCI bus.

One, possibly two disks down the track.  I wanted to try the multi-disk
approach, but for the price of four of the 500M quantums I got a Hawk-4,
and the space is vital...

> Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com

Thanks for the advice.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[