Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 22:26:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        sderdau@bit-net.com (Stephen Derdau)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: email question.

Stephen Derdau wrote:
> Why would email sent by a user sderdau%mcl
> 	be delivered and showing from sderdau@mcl instead of
> sderdau%mcl@qualified.domain.com.

This sounds strange.  I can answer the question:

	"Why would email sent to user sderdau%mcl@q.d.c be
	sent to sderdau@mcl?"

The answer to /that/ question is that the mail system sends to
q.d.c; q.d.c looks at the stuff to the left of the @. It substitutes
a @ for the right-most % and looks at it again.  If there's no @,
it's a local user; if there's a @ it sends it off (relays it). This
continues until all the %s are eaten.

Lots of machines won't do this: it's a form of relaying that spammers
have abused. Its legitimate use is to work around problems. Suppose
we want to send to A@B. We are at host X.  Host B is down or
unreachable, has no MX host. But host X is going to go down soon,
(It's a laptop? It's running NT? The Feds are at the door?). We
know that mail to host C will either get to C or be MX'd somewhere.
So we send mail to A%B@C.  Getting it to B is now C's problem.

> Pointers in the right direction appreciated.
> I know this is probably a sendmail question . Just hoping
> someone with great expertise wouldn't mind answering it.

No great expertise here, but my answer to the question you didn't
ask :) is a clue to what's going on, if the question you /did/ ask
is the real question.

Dave
--
Sancho Panza: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most secure network
	operating system available.'