Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 98 10:27:52 -0700
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@pinpt.com>
To:        "Mike Smith" <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Goeringer,    Michael" <goeringerm@keywest.ird.rl.af.mil>, <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ach! Slot 0, unfielded interrupt 0 (unbreakable loop)

*From the fingers of Mike Smith
>> >OK, so the only two valid configuration indices are 0x1 and 0x3.  What
>> >are the I/O addresses associated with them? (There should be extra data
>> >in thost tuples, but I can't read them 8)
>>
>> Tuple #7, code 0x1b (Configuration entry), length = 15
>>     000: 03 01 71 55 26 26 54
>>         Config index = 0x1(default)
>>         Interface byte = 0x1 (I/O)
>>         Vcc pwd:
>>                Nominal operating supply voltage: 5 x 1V
>>                Max current average over 1 second: 3 x 10mA
>>                Max current average over 10 ms: 5 x 10mA
>>                Power down supply current: 5 x 1mA
>>         Wait scale Speed = 7.0 x 100 ns
>>         RDY/BSY scale Speed = 7.0 x 100 ns
>>         Card decodes 18 address lines, full 8/16 Bit I/O
>>                IRQ modes: Level, Pulse
>>                IRQs:  IOCK 1 4 5 6 8 10 11 12 14
>> Tuple #8, code 0x1b (Configuration entry), length = 7
>>     000:  03 01 71 55 26 26 54
>>         Config index = 0x3
>>         Vcc pwd:
>>                Nominal operating supply voltage: 5 x 1V
>>                Max current average over 1 second: 2 x 100mA
>>                Max current average over 10 ms: 2 x 100mA
>>                Power down supply current: 5 x 1mA
>
>Er, there are *no* I/O addresses in those tuples.  Are you sure that
>there are no tuples anywhere with lines that read:
>
>        Card decodes 10 address lines, limited 8/16 Bit I/O
>                I/O address # 1: block start = 0x300 block length = 0x20

These were the only two that had the 'Config index = 0x3' and I gave you
the full print out for them.  Unfortunately there is no I/O address line
in the dump.

>Especially that last line?  Without one of these, pccardd won't be able
>to guess a port address.

Which just might explain why it's getting a resource allocation failure.

>> >This is indicative of a serious problem; something is generating
>> >interrupts even though the slot has not been configured yet.  I am
>> >concerned that your pcic may not be correctly configured.  I'm sure
>> >you've mentioned before what your laptop is, but could you tell me
>> >again?]
>>
>> It's a Dell Inspiron 3000 model TS30H
>> A 200mzh Pentium with 80 megs of RAM and a 3gig HD.  NeoMagic video
>> chipset.
>
>Oh.  *sigh*  Dell are being difficult of late. 8(

Hmm, the NIC is repackaged.  In big words on the front is "Dell Ethernet
Card by 3Com".  Even though it reports being a 3C589D the printing on the
card back says it's a revision C.  Maybe I need to get a new card?

Maybe I should move on to the modem PCCard issue to see if I the PCCard
drivers will work with the system.  What do you think, I was and am still
getting 'driver allocation failed" for the card even though I followed
you directions for that, I found the config of 0x21 with is com2 and
setup the pccard.conf for config 0x21 "sio1" 3.

Hmm, I hope this is not because of the system, it's running FreeBSD
wonderfully besides, the APM works flawlessly!

-Sean

Sean J. Schluntz                                    schluntz@pinpt.com
Systems Engineer                                   (408) 997-6900 x222
PinPoint Software Corporation                     http://www.pinpt.com