Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:58:23 -0500
From:      "Howard Smock" <hsmock@hit.net>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   New machines and Raid compatabilty

I am looking to purchase 3 systems to run  FreeBSD in a raid 5
configuration. I read the hardware compatibility list and do not find the
AMD 1500 Raid controllers listed.

But on the FreeBSD Kernel information page I do find a listing for the
MegaRaid.

    # RAID controllers
    device          ida        # Compaq Smart RAID
    device          amr        # AMI MegaRAID           ****Here is a paste
from the kernal section of the web guide******
    device          mlx        # Mylex DAC960 family

So is this Raid compatable?  Has anyone used this configuration?

Here is a quote on the hardware I have at this time.  Any input would be
welcome

Processor 1 Pentium III 650Mhz/100 w/256K Cache
Intel
BoardSpecs 1 Dual RDY Pentium II/III, GX,  L440GX
Lancewood
BoardSpecs 1 (4) 32bit PCI, (2)32/66mhz bit PCI, (1) ISA (2)
USB  2MB Video
BoardSpecs 1 4 Dimms, 2GB Max, Onboard Management Software
BoardSpecs 1 Integrated LVD, 10/100 Ethernet
Memory 1 128 MB SDRAM, DIMM, 133Mhz
Disk 5 18GB, 10,000 RPM, LVD 160MB/Sec 4MB Cache
Seagate
SLEDS 6 DataPort Shuttle for SCA Drive
Backplane 2 3 Bay 1 Channel SCA LVD Hot Swap Backplane (1x3)

Backplane 2 LVD Cable to Backplane
Backplane 2 Backplane Terminator
Floppy 1 3.5" Floppy and System Cabling
MPF-920-1-131
CD ROM 1 48X Sony IDE CD-ROM
Host RAID Ctl 1 AMI Mega 4 Channel RAID Ctrlr,  LVD
MegaRAID 1500
Host RAID Ctl 1 64MB SDRAM Cache for 1500
MegaRAID 1500
Cabling 2 LVD Internal Cabling
CPU ATX Rack 1 4U BLACK Rackmount, (8)5.25 Bays, Dual 300W Red
power
Rack Rails 1 Sliding Rails (one per rack shelf)
RACK-6CA300
1 * Please notice rack case color is black unless
specified
Warranty 1 3 Year Warranty
SERVICE 1 1 Year NBD on-site, Banctec
Server