Date:      Sat, 03 Aug 2002 18:44:22 +0900 (KST)
From:      CHOI Junho <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        will@highveldcs.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAM... HELP!!

From: sthaug@nethelp.no
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 23:33:25 +0200

> > Hi, I recently did a make world on a remote system, and now find myself
> > locked out, apart from one SSH connection I left running, however, dialups
> > don't last forever and I will have to close that connection soon. Is there
> > any way I can get SSH to work around PAM for the meantime, and is this
> > problem fixed yet (a desparate cvsup is now in progress)
>
> What worked for me:
>
> - install new /etc/pam.conf (from /usr/src/etc/pam.conf)
> - install new /etc/ssh/sshd_config (from /usr/src/crypto/openssh/sshd_config)
> - restart the running master sshd (/usr/sbin/sshd)

Hi,

I met the same problem, I updated recent RELENG_4_6 and do
mergemaster. After I ran install{kernel,world} and mergemaster, this
problem appears. I did 'killall -9 sshd ; /usr/sbin/ssh' from remote
to restart sshd entirely, but I still can't get login into(the
password prompt is bring up, so sshd is running now).

Should I go to the console(it is in the data center...) and reboot it?
If you have a good way to recover this without rebooting(anyway I'll
reboot to finalize upgrade... but it's after solving this problem),
please tell me.

> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug@nethelp.no

 +++ Any opinions in this posting are my own and not those of my employers +++
 CHOI Junho [sleeping now]                    <http://www.kr.FreeBSD.org/~cjh>;
 [while sleeping] <cjh @ kr.FreeBSD.ORG> <cjh @ FreeBSD.ORG> <cjh @ wdb.co.kr>
 Korea FreeBSD Users Group <www.kr.FreeBSD.org>   Web Data Bank<www.wdb.co.kr>