Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:19:37 -0800
From:      "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        "Aaron Sonntag" <aaron@sonntag.org>, "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SCSI RAID controller support

You are correct in that you only need enough on the non-RAID device to boot
the system.  The easiest option would be to just put all of / on the boot
device, maybe 10M-20M, total.  You could also likely wire together a system
where the kernel and some minimal subset exist on the boot device, with the
real root mounted over the boot root after the requisite drivers are in
place (I'm not sure if FreeBSD has any equivalent to the /boot partition,
which is specifically for this type of thing).

WARNING: there's a reason that the / partition is there!  A minimal /
should contain all (ALL) of the tools you need to repair the system (in
fact, it never hurts to try booting single user and seeing whether you know
how to get things done without /usr mounted).  For that reason, I would
recommend that instead of playing tricks to get a mirrorred /, you instead
manually mirror /, arrange things so that you can mount it read-only, and
then use standard mounting tricks to get the majority of your system up and
running.  If the normal boot / dies, boot from the backup boot /.

Or just punt and get a RAID controller you can boot from,
scott