Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 15:32:53 -0500
From:      Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   My sportster internal modem doesn't work after switched to 2.2-BETA

A few days after I switched to 2.2-BETA, my internal modem stopped
working. It can still dial and connect at 28800, and can read correctly,
but outputs garbage characters. Initially, I thought it was a hardware
problem, but when I booted up from my NT partition, it could
successfully setup a PPP connection. I am really puzzled, it doesn't
look like a hardware problem and it doesn't look like a software
problem either. I had been using it without any problem for almost
one week. It's a USR sportster 28.8 fax modem, it's using a 16C550ACJ
chip (sorry, I forgot to copy down the manufacturer). I am devastated
by this, I hate to boot up NT just for checking my email. Any help
is greately appreciated.

-lq