Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2008 01:58:36 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Richard Smith <geseeker@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: odd problem, system clock stops while power-down

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Richard Smith wrote:
 > >  > > How do i get around this so i wouldn't have
 > > to set the clock every
 > >  > > time i boot into freebsd? and by the way, does
 > > freebsd use the
 > >  > > CMOS clock?
 > >  >
 > >  > An idea would to use NTP to get the exact time from
 > > your
 > >  > local atomic time dealer at system startup. :-)
 > >  >
 > >  > See ntpd and ntpdate for further information.
 > >
 > > Definitely the best advice.  However it doesn't explain
 > > why his system
 > > apparently fails to retrieve the current date & time
 > > from CMOS on boot.
 > >
 > > Mine always have, though CMOS clocks rarely keep good time,
 > > so using NTP
 > > after network connection after boot I see initial
 > > corrections of several
 > > seconds usually .. still it's better than having all
 > > your log timestamps
 > > screwed after reboot until NTP does its thing.
 > >
 > > Richard: are you running UTC or local time in CMOS?  If the
 > > latter, does
 > > the file /etc/wall_cmos_clock exist?
 > >
 > > cheers, Ian

Copying back to the list, for the archives and for more eyes to help,
especially if the below doesn't help.

 > Thanks for the reply, wondering how to configure freebsd to use CMOS
 > time, as i'm using it as a desktop system. so it wouldn't be that my
 > machine always connects to the Internet to get the correct time.

If in the wrong timezone it should come up a whole number of hours out.

 > my CMOS is running local time, and the file /etc/wall_cmos_clock
 > exists. is the time zone configuration related to this problem?

Could well be.  Check out tzsetup(8) re setting your timezone.

If you update it, see the note about needing to run adjkerntz(8) .. but
being a workstation you may as well just reboot to see if it's fixed :)

cheers, Ian