Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 14:16:40 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Daniel Braga de Faria (DB)" <dbfaria@dcc.ufmg.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel documentation..

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:43:36 -0200, "Daniel Braga de Faria (DB)" wrote:

> I mean, how do new developers start learning about the code already
> written?

New developers don't usually start with kernel sources and device
drivers. :-)

You'll find this book good for an overall view of BSD UNIX.  The design
was so good that lots of stuff has _not_ changed:

	The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System
	ISBN 0-201-06196-1

Less useful (and also outdated in bits) is the Berkeley Software
Architecture Manual, which you can view with this command:

	zmore /usr/share/doc/psd/05.sysman/paper.ascii.gz

As far as getting to grips with our Makefiles, you'd want to check out
the make(1) manual page.  That might be a little difficult to digest, in
which case you can view the PMake Tutorial with this command:

	zmore /usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/paper.ascii.gz

Most of our Makefiles rely on magic in a bunch of bsd.*.mk files,
located and usually well commented in /usr/share/mk .

Have fun!

Ciao,
Sheldon.