Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 1996 11:07:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        david.mcardle@m130.aone.net.au (David McArdle)
Cc:        FREEBSD-INSTALL@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Press Any key to Reboot - HELP!

> Bloody Hell.
> I have tried everything
> I have a dx266 with 12 meg ram and 2 X 500meg harddrives
> 1st hardrive is C:\----This is full of DOS
> 2nd hardrive is D:\====This is empty for BSD
> My CDROM is not compatible for some stupid reason although
> I have played with the settings anyway. I then
> install Freebsd user install etc and carry out the normal
> install procedure from c:\freebsd onto D:\
> Everything works fine, it says "Congratulations" etc
> but when I reboot it comes up "Press any key to reboot"
> Lucky I have a boot disk. There is no boot manager for
> my Windows 95, DOS, FREEBSD setup.
> Please help me
> I am desperate!

Boot a DOS floppy and run DOS fdisk from the floppy.

Look at the partition table on the first disk.

1)	If it has one partition of an unknown type, it should be
	marked active.  The partition table is contained in an
	OnTrack Disk Manager or similar EIDE LBA TSR.

	a)	Exit fdisk and reboot the machine from the hard
		drive.
	b)	If you get an OS-BS or boot manager prompt, then
		select the first item.  If this fails to boot DOS
		(or Win95 or whatever), then:

		i)	Insert the DOS floppy.  This will boot
			DOS from the fopyy with the OnTrack from
			the hard drive installed.  Run Fdisk and
			make sure the DOS partition is active.  Go
			to step #1.
		ii)	Otherwise, OS-BS has been written over top
			of the OnTrack (or similar) code, and you
			will need to reinstall OnTrack to make the
			disk usable.
	c)	If it boots DOS without ging an OS-BS boot selector
		prompt:

		i)	Download the DOS install version of the OS-BS
			boot selector from the FTP site, or pull it
			off the CDROM onto a DOS disk.
		ii)	Boot the machine in DOS so that the OnTrack
			code is active.  If you boot Win95 by default,
			choose "Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode"
			in the shutdown screen (Win95 has boot block
			"virus protection").
		iii)	From the DOS prompt, install the OS-BS using
			the DOS install.

2)	Once you have the first disk booting again with OS-BS, you
	need to run fdisk on the second drive.

	a)	Mark the BSD partition bootable; in the DOS fdisk
		probram, it will show up as a "non-DOS partition".

	b)	Reboot the machine.  From the OS-BS prompt, select
		the second disk.

		i)	If it complains that it isn't bootable,
			then you make have OnTrack on the second
			disk as well.  Some vendors ship it on
			their EIDE disks.  You will probably need
			to boot from the DOS disk again and set the
			OnTrack "non-DOS partition" active as well.

3)	You should be up and running.

4)	At your earliest convenience, switch to SCSI.  8-).

5)	There is no #5.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---