Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 20:38:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Bob Bridgham <bob@netacc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Couple of questions and answers

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Bob Bridgham wrote:

> Just to let you all know,
>
> 	The problem I wrote to you all earlier this week happened to be a
> problem with either our Router, or a Transcever.  Power cycled it(a warm
> boot did not fix it) and it was great.

Okay, whatever ...

> 	Here are two other questions,
> 1: I am getting these messages from the system :
> > de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow (raising TX threshold to 96|256)
> > de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow (raising TX threshold to 8|512)
>
> Is this some sort of TX queue, what exactly is the threshold, and
> should/can I set it manually, it comes up every time the machine reboots.

It's a normal thing with the de driver; it receives data a little faster
than it can deal with it and it adjusts the buffer counts to match.  Don't
worry about it.

> 2: The sd1 stuff is very news, and I think it was a one time bad sector or
> something of the sort(If I am way off please let me know) But also the
> qmail-smtpd exited on sig11.  I had asked this once before on the qmail
> mailing list and someone mentioned bad memory, and other thoughts?

without any traces or other clues I can't say anything about it, sorry.
> 3: I know on other Flavors of UNIX I have used, you would use ulimit to
> limit CPU/process Swam MEM/process...  And I saw limit, but I can't seem
> to limit processes to X memory.  I basically want to limit any process to
> 50MB in Swap.  It is not a user's machine, but we sometimes have processes
> that just suddenly malloc mem and eat the swap file till the machine has
> 0MB swap and freezes.  Any ideas?

You can't limit swap, explicitly, but you can limit the total datasize of
the process.  See /etc/login.conf.

Doug White