Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 22:00:12 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "dannyman" <dannyman@toldme.com>
Cc:        "Robert J. Collins" <rcollins@hwi.buffalo.edu>, "Brian Whalen" <bri@sonicboom.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: redundant mail servers

Yes, but I get the idea that he's not ready to blow up his current mail system
tomorrow.  It's something to keep in mind for the future.

>> And if Solaris is your idea of reliable mbox locking I'd hate to see what
>> you consider unreliable!  We use Solaris ourselves and while it's locking
>> is adequate, I've had a few weird deadly embrace situations happen with it.
>> And that's WITHOUT using Network Flaying System!
>
>When was this?  The Smart People I've talked to tout Solaris for NFS
>stuff ...

Four weeks ago with a brand new Solaris8 x86 installation with all patches
applied, and the most current versions of sendmail and imap loaded.  During
testing when imap and the local delivery program in Solaris accessed the
mailbox at the same time, both processes got frozen up and neither would
budge.  It happened one other time after that.  I'm crossing my fingers
and hoping that it was just a fluke.