Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 09:45:40 +0100
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *bsd on srm-less alpha's

On Wednesday 08 May 2002 7:35 pm, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> > He's talking about using MILO, which, at least as of 2.1.13, uses the
> > OSF PALcode.  What nobody knows is if the PALcode in milo is close
> > enough to the "real" OSF PALcode used by the SRM for it to be usable
> > by FreeBSD.   It certainly seems close, as it has the text "SRM" and
> > "OSF" littered all over it.
> >
> > Now, I've heard various people talk about how we need certain VM
> > related PALcode functions that aren't avalable in the MILO palcode,
> > However, nobody has mentioned exactly which function this is, and I
> > think this might be an urban legend.
>
> I used to know this.  I can describe it in general terms.  Linux
> has abstracted its translation lookaside so that it can handle it
> in software for those processors, like MIPS, which require it.
> FreeBSD tries much harder to get the processor to do the work, and
> is less abstract.  THis means that FreeBSD gets higher performance
> on platforms where hardware assitance is possible.

Terry, I have no idea what you are talking about here. The TLB on alphas =
is=20
always managed by the PALcode. You can't do it anywhere else. The linux=20
kernel code doesn't try to manage TLBs and neither do we. The PALcode TLB=
=20
miss handler parses the page tables (which are in standard OSF hierarchic=
al=20
form for both FreeBSD and Linux) and inserts the TLB entry. The os doesn'=
t=20
play any part in this process.

--=20
Doug Rabson=09=09=09=09Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com