Date:      Mon, 03 May 1999 17:29:20 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "David G. Andersen" <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Claimed remote reboot exploit: Real or bogus?

If I were Jamie, I would have had a network analyzer on the line
during the "demonstration."

We've held off on installing 3.1-R on our servers because we always
wait for the second "production" point release of any major version
before upgrading. (This policy has kept us at 2.2.8 -- plus patches
-- for the time being.) We have come under fire on a few mailing lists
for this, but if the exploit is for real it will vindicate our
conservative practices yet again.

Still, the release of 3.2-R is nigh, and we DO want to install that
one. So, we'd like to see the exploit identified and squashed before
3.2-R goes out the door.

--Brett