Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 17:39:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Burton Sampley <bsampley@bsampley.vip.best.com>, John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: make world time???/

Hi Julian Elischer;  On 12-Nov-97 you wrote:

Looks to me that, for a full, plain build, the limit has stabilized arount
the 100 minutes.

I perfored some I/O testing, and I think the problem is not I/O releated.
It may be that we are CPU bound, but will not be surprized if we are
actually memory bandwidth limited.

Having more memory than about 256MB seems wasteful (using up 64MB for tmp
filesystems).

Swap activity was at zero, disk I/O at about 480 I/O's per second, which is
less than 1/3 of what the system is capable of, but CPU utilization was at
96% user peak, about 80% average.

I wonder how CPU utilization is computed.  It may actually be measuring
memory, not CPU.

Setting the F/S to async may improve I/O processing in the kernel more than
on the disks.

I'll have to wait for Goliath to arrive...

---
If Microsoft Built Cars:

Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you'd have to buy a new
car.

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313