Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:10:03 -0800
From:      Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3-BETA makeworld of current STABLE Fails

kris@obsecurity.org said:
>Sounds like your source code got corrupted somehow.

Indeed.  That's the angle I had been working for a couple of weeks after my
regular weekly automated cvsup-buildworld-buildkernel stopped working.  And I
now think it's true -- but with a twist: files were corrupted in the kernel
buffers and not on disk.

The background:
---------------

The kernal I was running, under the build was

	FreeBSD 4.3-BETA (FLOATER) #2: Tue Mar  6 22:17:30 PST 2001

and the machine (NEC Versa 6050MX with 40 MB of memory) gets used for lots of
things, so I'm frequently swapping disks and rebooting.

The symptoms:
-------------

1. Repeated attempts to cvsup-buildworld died in stage 4, library creation,
   and with errors indicating file corruption, though I never found the
   actual corruption.

2. In desperation, I wiped all of /usr/src and repeated.  This time I found
   the corruption.  It started at file offset 1024 in an assembler source file.
   Worried that I may have just cvsupped an entire source tree laden with
   corrupted files, I tried to run a find -exec grep of all of /usr/src to
   detect the corrupted files.  It didn't work right, but when I went back to
   look at the corrupted assembler source file, the file was okay!

3. When I dropped back to an old kernel (from February 16), buildworld worked
   okay up to the point where it needed floater.mc, my custom sendmail config
   file, which I blew away when I wiped /usr/src.

Diagnosis:
----------

The FreeBSD 4.3-BETA kernal of around March 6 had a bug that resulted in very
occasional buffer corruption of files that were read.  It seems not to have
corrupted buffers for files that were written, since my cvsup of everything
escaped unscathed.

I'm currently repeating the buildworld, after having replaced floater.mc, and
will report whether the kernal problem seems to have gone away in sources
cvsupped last night.
--
M/S 258-5                     | 1024-bit PGP fingerprint: | tweten@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center     |  41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59 |      (650) 604-4416