Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 20:38:49 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is port scanning a problem?

My ISP's support newsgroup has lots of threads about "port scanning".
Most of the people there are Windozers and since I've never heard any
mention of it here I assume that it is a Windows vulnerability and not
an issue if I connect only from FreeBSD. Is this correct?

I checked out Steve Gibson's site (http://wrc.com) which has a test
program to check the vulnerability of your machine. The only thing
that showed up in my logs when I ran this was in /var/log/messages:

May 16 20:23:18 parish inetd[96]: /usr/libexec/fingerd[1438]: exit status 0x100

Any need to worry?

--
        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX