Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 06:58:15 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        didier@omnix.net
Cc:        chad@DCFinc.com, Kiril Mitev <kiril@ideaglobal.com>, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, cracauer@cons.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Let 3.x die ASAP?

In message <200003301625.QAA76045@loki.ideaglobal.com>, Kiril Mitev
writes:
> > As I recall, Didier Derny wrote:
> > > I can't an many people can't upgrade the system on their machine
> > > at the actual rythm of FreeBSD version (each one supposed to be the best
> > > one and solve most of the problems :-))) )
> > > without a real stability (like the one with 2.x) this product
> > > has no more value than linux or solaris, sco...
> >
> > So, is there some feature in the 3.x line that isn't in 2.2.x that
> > you can't live without?  If not, your course is clear.  Put up a
> > 2.2-STABLE system and quit worrying about stability.
>
> *ahem*
>
> In other words "do not use anything newer than 2.2 if you
> worry about stability"...
>
> In other words "nothing in FreeBSD has improved stability
> since 2.2"
>
> In other words "2.2 is our most stable version"
>
> (ever?)
>
> In other words ..... you get the drift .......
>
> OUCH
>
> *off to downgrade all those servers ASAP*
>
> *oh, and replace them with 486's, after all 486's with
> 2.2 on them have years of uptime*

I think that 2.1.6 was more stable than any 2.2.x and that 3.4 is the
most stable of them all (haven't used 4.0 extensively so I won't
comment about it).  IMO he's got a choice:  Upgrade to 3.4 or downgrade
to 2.1.6.

My point is that if a certain release works for an individual.  Stick
with it and quit bitching.  I'm sure there are a lot of very happy
users of 2.0.5, 2.1.[67], and 2.2.8 who are doing just that:  Using an
old release because it works and not bitching about it.

I for one, rather than bitching and complaining, have rolled up my
sleeves and submitted patches to fix problems I've had.  Eventually
somebody either committed them in my original form or as usually was
the case in a modified form.

FreeBSD is not a commercial effort.  It's a free-ware effort.  All the
arm-chair quarterbacks have no right to complain until they've either
contributed to the effort or paid FreeBSD for support.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC