Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2018 15:39:18 -0700
From:      Matthew Macy <mmacy@freebsd.org>
To:        tcaputi@datto.com
Cc:        Sean Fagan <sef@ixsystems.com>, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>,  freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Native Encryption for ZFS on FreeBSD CFT
References:  <CAPrugNomNQQUZZNgngYRjDEVEU=_KbE2pgG4ajO1Jr4%2BGov2gQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAPrugNpKOYe9VS6Q-Q43t4i51qsxrP0SKW76208rtX-ENWxS5g@mail.gmail.com> <CAOtMX2jGQWm9ZFM_0kqvEt41xrm%2BFTpq6JVK4iK-c20NQjisRg@mail.gmail.com> <AD1101E9-9A3E-41CB-B313-1723123C607B@ixsystems.com> <CAOtMX2gvtzKg=DJChZdcYCiuADNVm9JvhgLNJ7bmwCLArgigjw@mail.gmail.com> <9FDF249A-E320-4652-834E-7EEC5C4FB7CA@ixsystems.com> <CAOtMX2iMuLWEQV68MTcvpURacXB5wZMT8yAYySisOfnmCNn=SA@mail.gmail.com> <E415D5A9-DBEE-45DC-9AE2-7E50A74B8C2D@ixsystems.com> <CAOtMX2jaPZj1pQj2f_pzBFXCo6G2ksZ0=mQxCX0MxXnSJpEVuA@mail.gmail.com>

Hi Thomas,

Alan believes that, even with dedup disabled, the ZFS native encryption
support is vulnerable to watermarking attacks. I don't have enough exposure
to crypto to pass any judgement and was hoping that you'd share your point
of view. Thanks in advance.

-M