Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:32:22 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LOCALBASE vs PREFIX

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 04:18:52PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> We (Timing Solutions) like to have a setup that looks like the
> following.  We were going to see about producing some code, but aren't
> sure how easy/hard it will be.
>
> 	/software/dist/${SW}-${VER}/<normal tree here>
>
> we then make symbolic links from /software/dist/${SW} to
> /software/dist/${SW}-${VER} for that software that we want to be the
> default.  We also have symbolic links in /software/{bin,lib,share,etc}
> to the specific version when we "install" them.

Some random thoughts..

Do you have separate locations for "/usr/X11R6" and "/usr/local",
or does everything go under /software/{bin,...}

ie: is there a distinction between ${LOCALBASE} and ${X11BASE}

If we're looking at some kind of stowage system, this might be
the ideal time to actually stop installing *anything* in
/usr/{X11R6,local}, and do a s?/software/?/usr/packages/? for
the FreeBSD version of Warner's suggestion - I never really
understood why X went in its own hierarchy, and using /usr/packages
would free up /usr/local for truly _local_ stuff.

One question, though.. in this scheme of things, where I have
a package "foo" with a shared library "bar.so.2", where do I
depend on it?

1. The actual location:
	/software/dist/foo-x.y/lib/libbar.so.2

2. The first linked location:
	/software/dist/foo/lib/libbar.so.2

3. The linked location in the "real" tree:
	/software/lib/libbar.so.2

??

Can we leverage this to also have explicit inter-package version
dependencies by virtue of the foo -> foo-x.y link?

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			ade@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve		http://www.FreeBSD.org/