Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 1998 10:54:10 +0100
From:      "andrea" <andrea.franceschini@linet.it>
To:        "Doug White" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   R: ip-masquerading.natd,ip-aliasing ....

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
A: andrea <andrea.franceschini@linet.it>
Cc: freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Data: giovedì 3 dicembre 1998 0.40
Oggetto: Re: ip-masquerading.natd,ip-aliasing ....

>On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, andrea wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a way to configure my  intranet using natd.
>> The problem is that the configuration that i need is a little unsual and
>> wonder if is applicable.
>>
>> The configuration is as follow:
>>
>> On the Same LAN :
>>
>> 1 - Web Server (with routable Ip-address)
>> 2 - Mail Server ( ""           ""         ""            )
>> 3 - 1 router connected to the InterNet.
>> 4 - Many other boxes with not Routeble ip addresses (192.168.. )
>>
>> So i have 2 subnet on the same phisical net.
>>
>> What i'm wondering is:
>>
>> It's possible to share in the same phisical Lan( eg without gateway
>> with 2+ Ether Card) between 2 networks?
>
>If you want to use natd, you should use it's redirect_port feature instead
>of mixing the networks.  This way you get the filtering feature of natd
>protecting your mail and web server.  The downturn is that you loose
>flexibility on your web server -- if you add services you'll have to set
>up redirect rules for it.

>I don't know how fancy your router is, if it can be taught to natd certain
>packets or not (I think ipfw can do it, not sure).
>
>> I'have tried assigning 2 ip address at the same interface ,and using
>> this machine as a gateway on the same phisical net.
>
>You have to use an alias (with the netmask of that network, not
>0xffffffff) on the interface to get the second IP programmed in.

First of all thank you for replying!:)

Now the configuration you described is pretty the same of mine.
And that's the problem it doesn't works at all.:(

The rule in the firewall that 'divert' the socket to natd seem to
work,because i can see the
counters of packets increasing..
But natd doesn't get anything ,or so seems( i set-up natd in verbose mode
but nothing happens...)

I need a sort of 'example' of a working configuration in order to debug the
mine.

Bye;)