Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2012 22:02:58 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        gnn@freebsd.org, Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: looking for opinions on laptop

Hi,

On Tuesday, July 03, 2012 09:28:57 PM gnn@freebsd.org wrote:
> At Fri, 29 Jun 2012 09:08:41 -0400,
> Robert Huff wrote:
> >

> > Julian H. Stacey writes:
> >
> > >  > 	I have the opportunity to get a (refurbished) Lenovo G570 (Core
> > >  > i5, 2x2.4 ghz) for what seems like a very good price.
> > >  > 	Does anyone have experience with a) this model, b) the G
> > >  > series, or c) Lenovo laptops generally that would bear on my
> > >  > decision?
>
> I'm using a Lenovo ThinkPad X220.  The ThinkPads have always done well

it seems that here are some users of this machine.

> 1) What wireless chip do they use?  Even within the same model they
> can switch wireless chips.

Isn't it hidden in the model code? An X220 can come with three different ones. The good thing on Lenovo still is that it all is well documented.

> 2) What video chip is used.  This is an endless source of problems for
> open source systems.

Windows is open source? I think that GPU are a general source of problems.

In this case, his GPU should be the same as in the X220. But he really must check for the wireless device.

> I've rarely had problems with other components, but I will say that I
> never use sound on my laptop so that is an area where I don't have any
> experience.

Sound works on the X220. It only sounds horrible because of the little speakers. I think it is worse than a hand phone.

Erich