Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 2009 14:39:06 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance issues with 8.0 ZFS and sendfile/lighttpd

Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Ivan Voras wrote:
>> Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>>> I have more strange issue with Lighttpd in jail on top of ZFS.
>>> Lighttpd is serving static content (mp3 downloads thru flash player).
>>> Is runs fine for relatively small number of parallel clients with
>>> bandwidth about 30 Mbps, but after some number of clients is reached
>>> (about 50-60 parallel clients) the throughput drops down to 6 Mbps.
>>>
>>> I can server hundereds of clients on same HW using Lighttpd not in
>>> jail and UFS2 with gjournal instead of ZFS reaching 100 Mbps (maybe
>>> more).
>>>
>>> I don't know if it is ZFS or Jail issue.
>>
>> Do you have actual disk IO or is the vast majority of your data served
>> from the caches? (actually - the same question to the OP)
>
> I had ZFS zpool as mirror of two SATA II drives (500GB) and in the peak
> iostat (or systat -vm or gstat) shows about 80 tps / 60% busy.
>
> In case of UFS, I am using gmirrored 1TB SATA II drives working nice
> with 160 or more tps.
>
> Both setups are using FreeBSD 7.x amd64 with GENERIC kernel, 4GB of RAM.
>
> As the ZFS + Lighttpd in jail was unreliable, I am no longer using it,
> but if you want some more info for debuging, I can set it up again.

For what it's worth, I have just set up a little test on a production
machine with 3 500 GB SATA drives in RAIDZ, FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE. The
total data set is some 2 GB in 5000 files but the machine has only 2 GB
RAM total so there is some disk IO - about 40 IOPS per drive. I'm also
using Apache-worker, not lighty, and siege to benchmark with 10
concurrent users.

In this setup, the machine has no problems saturating a 100 Mbit/s link
- it's not on a LAN but the latency is close enough and I get ~~ 11 MB/s.