Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:16:29 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        preacher <preacher@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How can I spin down IDE HDD in 3.3-RELEASE

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999 05:39:27 +0400, preacher wrote:

> I has MAKEDEVed but have got the same results
> I rebuild kernel, check /etc/default/conf, but nothing.

So you rebuilt and installed an apm-enabled kernel.

You rebooted your system. While you were rebooting, you made sure the
APM was nabled in the BIOS. You looked at the kernel probe output, or
the output of the dmesg command. What did it say about apm0?

You added this line to /etc/defaults/rc.conf:

	apm_enable="YES"

You used MAKEDEV to create the device in /dev. When you ran apmconf -e
it _still_ gave you "Device not configured"?

That sounds weird.

Ciao,
Sheldon.