Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2011 17:02:09 +0200
From:      "Luchesar V. ILIEV" <luchesar.iliev@gmail.com>
To:        David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade -f advice please

On 01/01/11 16:42, David Southwell wrote:
>> David Southwell writes:
>>>  A bit puzzled
>>>
>>>  I have a problem with apache22 loading and decided before doing
>>>  anything else that I would upgrade apache22 recursively to
>>>  rebuild all ports upon which it depened and which depend upon
>>>  apache.
>>>
>>>  The (to me) logical command was:
>>>
>>>  dns1# portupgrade -frR apache22
>>>
>>>  Which generated the following:
>>>  [Exclude up-to-date packages  done]
>>>
>>>  Man portupgrade shows:
>>>   -f
>>>
>>>       --force                Force the upgrade of a package even if it is
>>>       to be
>>>
>>>                              a downgrade or just a reinstall of the same
>>>                              ver- sion, or the port is held by user
>>>                              using the HOLD_PKGS variable in
>>>                              pkgtools.conf.
>>>
>>>  I do not want to exclude packages that appear to be
>>>  up-to-date. Where is this limitation on force set?
>>
>> 	Assuming the reoirt if generated output is verbatim, I beleive
>> this is behaving as you desire.  Usually the "Excluding up-to-date
>> packages" line includes what I believe is one dot per package so
>> excluded.
>> 	I would argue a better notification would be something like:
>>
>> 	'R' and 'f' options specifed - skipping up-to-date dependency checks.
>>

>> 					Robert Huff
> No I am wanting to force an upgrade to all packages irrespective as to whether
> they are up to date.
>
> What is happening is that no packages are being upgraded!
>
> The only response I am getting is for portupgrade to skip the upgrade of all
> packages on the grounds they are "up to date".
>
> man portupgrade says -f forces the upgrade of the packages EVEN IF it is a
> reinstall of the same version. I want all the nominated ports and all the
> ports affected by -rR to be forced to upgrade.

I just checked the command on my system (I often use -f, but not that
often together with both -r and -R), and it works as expected. Could you
please tell what is your FreeBSD version, is the ports tree up-to-date
and what's your portupgrade version?

Cheers,
Luchesar

P.S. The "Exclude up-to-date packages" is still done, yet portupgrade
continues regardless of its results when -f is specified.