Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:46:31 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>, "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>, Dave Rossow <dave@dreksys.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Verisign dns trick

Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> Doug White wrote:
> > Of course, if you use a non-verisign aligned registrar, host adds and
> > domain updates usually happen instantaneously so the registration burden
> > is much less :)
>
> Can you name a few?  Looking for a registrar that allows one to have
> multiple domains with differing registrant information in the same
> account, has a reasonable update time, and isn't a Verisign puppet has
> proven difficult.

Whoever controls the top level DNS controls all the DNS; that's
just the way it is.   Currently, that's ICANN.  It doesn't matter
who you go with, ICANN gets their pound of flesh.  That's why there
is no real protocol defined to register domain names, and why a
domain registration can't be completed within a browser timeout:
if you have a monopoly, there's no incentive to improve service.

The way the registrars that update more quickly operate is to set
up their own servers to update from, and forward to the real ones,
until the real ones are up: basically, name servers have to be
registered within an ASN before they are really there, as far as
the root is concerned.

As to who does it correctly: no one: it's not permitted that it be
run correctly.  As to who comes close: it really depends: as soon
as any registrar hits a critical mass, the overhead will exceed
their ability to process, and it will go to hell, just like the one
you leave behind, because it went to hell.

Yeah, I'm a little cynical: I tried to get an RFC in for an update
and registration protocol that would work in under 1/2 a browser
timeout, for registration of new domains, all the way back in 1996,
when I saw this was going to be a problem.  I guess at least I get
the "I told you so", which is poor consolation, indeed.

-- Terry