Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:00:37 +0800
From:      Jiawei Ye <leafy7382@gmail.com>
To:        Panagiotis Astithas <past@netmode.ntua.gr>
Cc:        Derek Young <derekyoung@easy.com>
Subject:   Re: java/eclipse dies starting up

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:23:57 +0300, Panagiotis Astithas
<past@netmode.ntua.gr> wrote:
> I've seen both error reports, but I just found the time to try to
> reproduce them. I have -current from August 11th (post gcc 3.4),
> gtk-2.4.4_1 and just rebuilt eclipse. The gtk version of eclipse works
> like a charm for me. No sig 10's whatsoever. I haven't upgraded gtk to
> 2.4.7 (and other stuff) yet, but I' ll try it soonish.
>
> The motif version works too, although I do get the malloc warnings.
> Using the 'A' malloc flag shows that they come from the java binary (not
> rebuilt with gcc 3.4 in my case). The trace I get is kind of crappy, so
> I'll try rebuilding jdk14 with the new compiler.
>
> In any case the problems are never in eclipse code, but either in gtk or
> java (or some system bug - gcc, ld, threads, etc.). Some suggestions off
> the top of my head:
> - check for bad memory (sig 10)
> - try using binary packages for gtk, eclipse, etc.
> - try using an older binary package of jdk14, if you have one around
> - eliminate any strange make.conf settings, such as compiler
> optimizations and rebuild
>
> Cheers,
>
> Panagiotis
I think the problem is gtk 2.4.7 vs your version used(2.4.4). I just
rebuilt my jdk14 with the latest gcc3.4 patch yesterday. Everything
else works fine. Maybe we should report this back to eclipse bugzilla
and see if they are running into the same problem with newer gtk?

Jiawei