Date:      21 Jul 1999 09:56:38 -0400
From:      Matt Curtin <cmcurtin@interhack.net>
To:        Harmony Erika Semf <HESemf@lbl.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, faq@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what does FreeBSD stand for?

    Harmony Erika Semf <HESemf@lbl.gov> said:

HS> I've looked around the freebsd website but can't seem to find what
HS> the acronym 'BSD' stands for.  I'd like to include it in a
HS> presentation I'm making.  I know the B is Berkeley, but I'm not
HS> sure of the rest.

This should probably be in the FAQ, so I'm copying faq@freebsd.org.
Followups directed to freebsd-chat, to the degree that followups can
be set in email. :-)

BSD stands for "Berkeley Software Distribution" (The Design and
Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System, McKusick, et al,
p. vii).

Note that you should never spell out BSD when used in names like
"4.4BSD", "FreeBSD", "NetBSD", "OpenBSD", or "BSD/OS".

--
Matt Curtin cmcurtin@interhack.net http://www.interhack.net/people/cmcurtin/